Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Circle of Life?!?

Now, I am not a biologist nor do I claim to be an expert of what is best for the environment, but when I read about the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s plan (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Article :: Graphic ) to release three species of imported Chinese wasps this summer to "solve" the Emerald Ash Borer problem I couldn't help but think this is a bad idea.

It also triggered a memory from a few years back of a Simpson's episode back in 1998 where a similar situation occurred, but in their case with lizards.

Kent Brockman: Our top story, the population of parasitic tree lizards has exploded, and local citizens couldn't be happier! It seems the rapacious reptiles have developed a taste for the common pigeon, also known as the feathered rat, or the gutterbird. For the first time, citizens need not fear harassment by flocks of chattering disease-bags.

[Some time later, the city honors Bart for his work.]

Mayor Quimby: For decimating our pigeon population, and making Springfield a less oppressive place to while away our worthless lives, I present you with this scented candle.

[Away from the speech, Skinner and Lisa talk.]

Skinner: Well, I was wrong. The lizards are a godsend.

Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by lizards?

Skinner: No problem. We simply release wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the lizards.

Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?

Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.

Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!

Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death.

The Cirrrrcle of Liiiiiife ...


The circle of life? In this case I don't think there are wasp eating gorillas to clean up the mess we are about to make.

How strange when a pop culture cartoon predicts the future.

2 comments:

Erik said...

I think we need to rethink Chinese imports as a general policy.

Lisa Meltzer said...

Hey! I didn't realize you had a Blogger page. I just added you to my Blogs I Dig list.