Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Lucky

This morning on my way in to work, I did as I usually do - drive downtown, find a spot in the parking garage, take the stairs to the walkway, etc.

But today on my path something surprized me.

I happened across someones bed. At least that's what I assessed it to be. There it was, in the stairwell of the parking structure - a large cardboard box was flattened out on the landing to buffer the concrete & dirt & wet. Newspapers were spread at one end, to provide another "clean" layer before putting one's head down. And an abandoned plastic bag, poised as if more of a useful vessel than garbage, with what looked like a wonderbread wrapper sticking out was sitting there, as if its owner placed it there deliberately and intended to reach in again.

I passed this same setup on my way out of work - everything still in place, except now a muddy path from wet feet trampled across the cardboard bed.

I know that homelessness is a reality for many. But seeing this today once again reminded me just how lucky I am.

No comments: